Regular Full-time Positions
Director of Major and Planned Gifts
Mystic Seaport seeks a seasoned, dynamic Director of Major and Planned Giving, who possesses a proven track record of success soliciting and securing contributions from high net worth individuals, to lead its major and planned gift efforts. Reporting to the Vice President for Advancement, the ideal candidate will be responsible for managing a prospect pool of 100-150 annually and be adept at cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding donors with a gift capacity of $25,000 and above. Employing strong relationship-building skills and a donor-centric approach, the position will secure support for annual fund, endowment and capital needs, as well as a wide variety of Museum programs that may include exhibitions, education, shipyard, restoration, and collections. Deep experience in both major and planned giving is essential. Travel and working some nights and weekends required to fulfill this position.
The ideal candidate for this position will have the following qualifications: Minimum of 10 years in Advancement with increasing responsibility and success specifically in major gift fundraising and planned giving, ability to understand the needs and interests of leadership and major gift donors in order to develop long-lasting relationships on behalf of Mystic Seaport, excellent communicator in all formats, oral, written, public speaking, ability to time the pacing of and close gift solicitations successfully, familiarity with current planned giving vehicles and estate-planning trends and ability to provide basic knowledge and calculations in response to planned giving inquiries, demonstrated leadership and ability to successfully manage multi-functional areas, function in a team-oriented environment and work independently as required. Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree and/or Advanced Certification preferred, knowledge of Raiser’s Edge or similar relational database preferred.
To Apply: send cover letter, resume and Mystic Seaport application to: Mystic Seaport, P O Box 6000, Mystic, CT, 06355. An EOE.
Education Programs Sales Representative
The Education Programs Sales Representative position is a regular full-time, exempt position responsible for developing and implementing marketing strategies for the K-12 education programs at Mystic Seaport, including summer camps, school and youth group overnight programs, in-school programs, primary source workshops, digital programs, Planetarium programs, and school field trips. This position is responsible for increasing the revenue for these programs in partnership with the Director of Education. Position is a three-year, grant-funded position.
- Develop and implement strategies to market and increase enrollment in summer camps
- Maintain and grow Raiser’s Edge database of teacher contacts
- Send periodic eblasts through Net Community to teachers advertising education programs
- Prepare and deliver presentations to teachers, school administrators, youth groups, parents
- Increase promotion of annual Educators’ Weekend to increase attendance
- Partner with relevant organizations locally and nationally to promote professional development for teachers
- Develop and maintain relationships with classroom teachers and school administrators to ultimately increase the number of students who participate in educational programming
- Work with Education staff to develop education program packages to promote to schools and youth groups
- Identify and develop local and national markets for Virtual Education Programs and Mystic Seaport for Educators website
- Implement postcard and education brochure mailings to purchased lists of educators
- Exhibit at education conferences at least two times per year
- Promote our youth group overnight program to scout and other youth groups
- Promote our education programs on Mystic Seaport’s social media channels, including expanded presence on Google+ Connected Classrooms
- Work with our Marketing Department to implement strategic ad placement in relevant publications
- Excellent presentation skills
- Superb time management, organizational, and follow-up skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Well-developed communication skills via phone, email, and in-person
- Excellent project management skills
- Self-directed team player who can manage multiple priorities
- Must possess and reflect a polished professional demeanor in a variety of situations
- Sales experience
- Ability to work and communicate effectively and in a friendly and energetic manner with a diverse population of teachers, administrators, parents, and staff
- Strong computer skills
- Team player adept at working with many different people
- Able to represent Museum and the department with professional confidence
- Ability to perform assignments creatively, conscientiously, and accurately with high standards of quality and overall effectiveness
- Capacity for accepting responsibility of position without need for follow-up; ability to act independently without specific instructions.
- BA/BS in related field
- Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge database and Net Community eblast software
- Prior classroom teacher experience
- Experience in a museum/non-profit environment and/or educational programs
To apply: Please submit a Mystic Seaport application, resume, and cover letter to email@example.com or to Mystic Seaport PO Box 6000 Mystic, CT 06355 Attn: Human Resources. Closing date is 8/1/14. An EOE.