Regular Full-time Positions
Assistant Director of Visitor Services
The Assistant Director of Visitor Services position supervises the Visitor Reception Center and a staff of up to 25 individuals at a key point of sale and entry point for Museum visitors. The Assistant Director must work with the objective of ensuring a positive first impression through a culture of hospitality with excellent customer service and sound business practices. This is a regular, full-time position.
- Serves as system administrator for Patron’s Edge ticketing system to ensure a smooth operation for all users
- Implements admission policies and coordinates with appropriate departments on reporting and billing procedures
- Responsible for all deposits, cash control, and money handling through the Visitor Reception Center
- Responsible for timely generation and distribution of attendance and revenue reports
- Represents visitor concerns in Operations Committee meetings
- Reviews and approves weekly department payroll
- Sets staffing schedule to ensure Visitor Reception Center is staffed and fully operational during Museum hours of operation and for special events
- Responsible for hiring, training, scheduling, and dismissal of Visitor Services staff
- Trains satellite areas on ticketing system operation
- Ensures that Visitor Services staff actively promotes sales including general admission, membership, special events, and programming
- Updates and implements Visitor Services training manual
- Performs periodic evaluations of employees
- Monitors the replenishment and working order of all gate area visitor communications
- Acts as the visitor representative in identifying Museum visitor service and works to solve gaps
- Communicates with other departments to obtain necessary information related to visitor programs and promotions
- Handles visitor complaints in person and in writing
- College degree and minimum of two years of supervisory and staff training experience
- Direct visitor services experience in an attraction, retail, or the travel/leisure sector
- Understanding of basic accounting and bookkeeping procedures
- Word processing, spreadsheet, and database experience
- Must be a people person who enjoys assisting the public
- Must be an enthusiastic team-builder with a positive attitude
- Experience with Patron’s Edge or Blackbaud a plus
To apply: Please send a resume, cover letter, and Mystic Seaport application to email@example.com or to Mystic Seaport PO Box 6000 Mystic, CT 06355 Attn: Human Resources. An EOE.
Director of Major and Planned Gifts
Mystic Seaport seeks a seasoned, dynamic Director of Major and Planned Giving, who possesses a proven track record of success soliciting and securing contributions from high net worth individuals, to lead its major and planned gift efforts. Reporting to the Vice President for Advancement, the ideal candidate will be responsible for managing a prospect pool of 100-150 annually and be adept at cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding donors with a gift capacity of $25,000 and above. Employing strong relationship-building skills and a donor-centric approach, the position will secure support for annual fund, endowment and capital needs, as well as a wide variety of Museum programs that may include exhibitions, education, shipyard, restoration, and collections. Deep experience in both major and planned giving is essential. Travel and working some nights and weekends required to fulfill this position.
The ideal candidate for this position will have the following qualifications: Minimum of 10 years in Advancement with increasing responsibility and success specifically in major gift fundraising and planned giving, ability to understand the needs and interests of leadership and major gift donors in order to develop long-lasting relationships on behalf of Mystic Seaport, excellent communicator in all formats, oral, written, public speaking, ability to time the pacing of and close gift solicitations successfully, familiarity with current planned giving vehicles and estate-planning trends and ability to provide basic knowledge and calculations in response to planned giving inquiries, demonstrated leadership and ability to successfully manage multi-functional areas, function in a team-oriented environment and work independently as required. Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree and/or Advanced Certification preferred, knowledge of Raiser’s Edge or similar relational database preferred.
To Apply: send cover letter, resume and Mystic Seaport application to: Mystic Seaport, P O Box 6000, Mystic, CT, 06355. An EOE.