Regular Part-time Positions
Purpose of Position: To provide various administrative duties for the Facilities Department. This individual coordinates all clerical activities, requests, and disseminates information on various projects, acts as liaison with the staff, organization employees, and external customers.
Essential Functions: To assist Associate Director in the daily operations of the Facilities department. Duties include but not limited to:
- General receptionist duties: answer telephone, filing, email correspondence, coordinate visitors and contractors
- Communicate work requests with Facilities staff via radio and/or phone.
- Process incoming and outgoing mail
- Assist in invoice processing procedures
- Assist in budget reconciliation on a monthly basis
- Maintains various Facilities-related databases and reports on such
- Perform various administrative tasks as needed
- Run various weekly/monthly reports as assigned
- Business/secretarial school training or comparable college-level course completion.
- A minimum five years of administrative support experience, including providing office support to management-level personnel
- A minimum 3 years of experience with general accounting practices
- Must be computer literate with Microsoft Office Professional (Word, Excel, and Power Point); knowledge of Access preferred
- Must be able to operate multi-line telephone system
- Ability to manage time and workload effectively which includes planning, organizing, and prioritizing with attention to details
- Must be organized and able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Must be dependable, team player who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing
- Ability to use sound judgment and maintain confidentiality
Physical Requirements and Environmental Conditions: Works primarily in an office environment. Periods of traversing the Museum grounds to participate in meetings.
This is a regular, part-time position with 30 hours per week. To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and Mystic Seaport application to email@example.com or to Mystic Seaport PO Box 6000 Mystic, CT 06355 Attn: Human Resources. An EOE.
The Educator Specialist is a regular, part-time role that will assist in the implementation of Mystic Seaport’s Anchor Watch program. The Anchor Watch program provides an exciting overnight experience for youth groups aboard the full-rigged ship Joseph Conrad. Programs are held on Friday and Saturday evenings in the fall and spring.
- Lead tours, outdoor and indoor games and activities, scout activities, and workshops
- Supervise guests overnight on board the Joseph Conrad
- Assist in rigging climbing
- Manage student cleaning of program facilities
- Provide excellent customer service and excellent visitor experiences
- Build a professional repertoire through continuous growth and mastery of content, demonstration skills, hands-on education, presentation and delivery techniques, and educational theory
- Contribute to the development of new programs and enhancement of existing programs
- Experience working with children, youth, and families in formal or informal settings; ability to engage students in a dynamic and energetic manner
- Demonstrate caring and respectful attitude towards children, youth, and families
- Ability to lead education tours of the Museum, indoor/outdoor games and crafts, climb the rigging; drive the museum education van, operate AV and computer equipment
- Demonstrate ability to communicate effectively and work with diverse staff across the Museum as well as external customers
- Self-directed learning, ability to retain learned information, and use of knowledge to engage audiences of all ages and learning styles
- Absolute reliability, punctuality, and positive attitude
- Flexibility, versatility, and adaptability
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to get along with others; ability to use tact and diplomacy.
- Must possess and reflect a polished professional demeanor in a variety of situations.
- College-level training is required; background in museum education, maritime history, or youth development experience is preferred
- Willingness to work a highly flexible schedule corresponding to the needs of the Museum
- Deliver programs in venues that can be cold, wet, hot, or dirty; work outside in all weather
- Late nights, early mornings, overnight on the Joseph Conrad primarily on Friday and Saturday nights
- Ability to perform assignments creatively, conscientiously, and accurately with high standards of quality and overall effectiveness.
- Capacity for accepting responsibility of position without need for follow-up; ability to act independently without specific instructions.
To Apply:Please submit a Mystic Seaport application, resume, and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or to Mystic Seaport PO Box 6000 Mystic, CT 06355 Attn: Human Resources. Deadline is 1/16/15. An EOE.
General Maintenance Technician
- Collection and disposal of trash and garbage
- Collection and disposal of recyclable materials
- Performing various turf management tasks such as cleanup of debris from trees, aeration of soil, distribution of soil chemicals at the direction of supervisory personnel, and routine mowing and trimming of lawns
- Performing snow removal tasks such as plowing of roads, parking lots, and sidewalks using mechanized snow removal equipment; shoveling sidewalks and other walkways; and treating cleared areas with salt and/or sand
- Dewatering and cleanup of flooded areas
- Construction, repair, and maintenance of sidewalks, walkways, and roadways
- Landscape excavation and backfill
- Moving equipment, material, and office furniture from one location to another
- Performing setup and breakdown services for special events including delivery and set-up of tents, tables, and chairs
- Providing manual labor support to other Facilities Management trades (carpenters, electricians, plumbers, gardeners)
Scheduled hours of work:
- Normal work hours are 7-11:30 a.m. Work days are Monday-Friday during October through May, and four weekdays and one weekend day from May through October.
- Some overtime on weekends or evenings may be required as well as during inclement weather for snow removal.
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License
- Must be capable of lifting 75 pounds
- Must be able to perform work on a ladder
To Apply: Please submit a Mystic Seaport application, resume, and cover letter to email@example.com or to Mystic Seaport PO Box 6000 Mystic, CT 06355 Attn: Human Resources. An EOE.