Join us for the 29th annual celebration of Herman Melville’s masterpiece, Moby-Dick. The classic tale comes alive during our annual 24-hour reading that takes place throughout the Museum’s 19th-century seafaring village and aboard the last wooden whaleship in the world, the Charles W. Morgan. At noon on July 31, “Mr. Melville” himself makes his annual appearance and kicks off the reading by reciting the first chapter of the novel. Visitors, volunteers, staff, and special guest readers then make the village come alive as they read chapters in turn.
Copies of Moby-Dick will be available for those who wish to read along, including some children’s versions. Once the reading is complete, attendees will celebrate Mr. Melville’s August 1 birthday in old-fashioned style with song and cake.
Grill the Scholars
Before the marathon begins, join us Wednesday, July 31, at 10:30 am in the Greenmanville Church and listen as our panel of scholars answer questions regarding Moby-Dick. Featured scholars include Dr. Tom Couser from Hofstra University, Dr. Mary K. Bercaw Edwards from the University of Connecticut, and Dr. Robert D. Madison of the University of Arkansas.
- The Moby-Dick Marathon is included with Museum admission and is free for members. Those who wish to stay overnight will have the unique opportunity to sleep aboard the Morgan. Pre-register for your overnight stay by calling 860.572.5322 or emailing Rebecca Shea at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We suggest visitors bring a copy of the book, sun protection, a sleeping bag (for those staying aboard the Charles W. Morgan), insect repellent, and a flashlight.
- Please be aware that no food is allowed on board the Morgan at any time and visitors will have to leave the reading for meals.
- Participants may bring a picnic to enjoy on shore or purchase meals at one of the Museum’s restaurants.
- Please note that the Charles W. Morgan is not handicapped accessible.
If you can’t join us for the marathon, watch a live video feed of the event and host your own Moby-Dick celebration at home!