Safety on Sea & Shore
May 19-20, 2012
9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Free admission for first responders!
Safety on Sea & Shore weekend at Mystic Seaport recognizes and honors the work of present day emergency personnel, while also celebrates the people, methods, and vehicles involved in maritime rescues in the 19th and early 20th centuries.
Activities hosted throughout the weekend include:
- Breeches Buoy Demonstration -- All first responders are invited to join in and work alongside the Museum's demonstration squad as they set up and use this 19th-century, lifesaving apparatus.
- Friendly competitions that include a bucket brigade (all ages), fire hose advancement (adults only), and a water pumping demonstration using an 1833 hand pumper (adults only).
- Antique vehicles will be on display throughout the grounds, including fire engines and a horse-drawn ambulance.
- Water rescue demonstrations by Newfoundland dogs
- K9 police dogs work with an officer, demonstrating what they're trained to do.
- A special storytime just for kids. Be prepared to watch as the visiting Newfoundland dogs deliver the books to the Children's Museum!
Special presentations will also be hosted at the Museum's Chapel (Map #40):
- Hear rescue stories from 1876.
- Listen to true tales of Newfoundland dog rescues.
- Meet the teenage EMTs who comprise the Darien Emergency Medical Services Post 53 (Saturday only).
- Learn more about the junior firefighter program at Dunns Corners Fire Department (Saturday only).
- Hear the challenges that are handled daily by the Connecticut Department of Energy & Environmental Protection, an agency that fielded 8,290 calls last year alone.
- Learn how first responders quickly react to everyday emergencies as you hear modern rescue stories (Sunday only).
Free Museum admission will be extended to first responders who have appropriate identification. Discounted admission will be offered to accompanying family members: $19 for adults, $10.50 for youth.
Join us as we honor those who serve us all!