Buy Online Tickets for
Or Become a Member and
come for a whole year!
Map of Museum Grounds
Thomas Greenman House
|Map Location: 45|
First floor parlor is open to Museum visitors.
The three stately Greek Revival-style houses preserved by Mystic Seaport are important reminders of the community once called Greenmanville. Built within four years of each other between 1839 and 1842, the houses represent the affluence and importance of three brothers--George, Clark and Thomas Greenman--who left Westerly, Rhode Island, for Mystic, where they made their fortunes as shipbuilders, manufacturers and men of commerce.
The first floor of the Thomas Greenman house, built in 1842, is open to Museum visitors, who can enter the double parlor on the south side of the house and the large dining room and sewing nook on the north. These rooms have been decorated and furnished in the manner of a prosperous Victorian home of the 1870s; they also contain exhibits on the Greenmanville community and the Greenman family's place in it.
Thomas Greenman's granddaughter, Mary Stillman Harkness, donated the house to the Museum in 1945, and the exhibit was opened in 1952. The kitchen wing and the upstairs rooms are used as Museum offices.