Adult Sailing Programs aboard BRILLIANT
Join other adults and the professional crew aboard Brilliant for a hands-on, full-participation sailing experience aboard a classic yacht. Learn to sail a 61-foot schooner while cruising local waters and visiting scenic anchorages and towns. You’ll become part of the crew as you raise sails, haul on lines, steer, help in the galley, and learn traditional seamanship.
Common ports of call may include Block Island, RI and Shelter Island, NY. The nightly anchorages are weather dependent and at the Captain’s discretion. When space and weather permit, Brilliant will lay to a dock permitting shore leave for the crew. While Brilliant has modern safety and navigation equipment, her accommodations are true to her original construction providing open sleeping quarters and traditional heads.
Participants must be physically fit and agile as well as competent swimmers to take part in the sailing program. Once you reserve a berth aboard Brilliant, you will be sent a health form and handbook outlining what to bring, arrival information, as well as many other details. Participants must be at least 16 years old to sail on one-day trips and at least 19 years old to sail on two- and three-day trips. No previous sailing experience is necessary.
2016 Brilliant Adult Sail Dates
Unless otherwise noted, trips begin at 9 a.m. and conclude at 4 p.m. at Mystic Seaport.
August 29-30 – Two-day sail, Block Island Schooner Rendezvous, members $360/non-members $410 — SOLD OUT!
- Sail out to Great Salt Pond on beautiful Block Island and join other members of the American Schooner Association for a lobster dinner and evening aboard the Mystic Whaler. Return to Mystic Seaport the following day.
September 5 – Labor Day sail, $150
- Enjoy a day on the water aboard schooner Brilliant.
September 10 – One-day sail, Connecticut Maritime Heritage Festival Schooner Race, $150 — SOLD OUT!
- Join Schooner Brilliant in New London, CT to race against other schooners participating in the Festival.
September 15-19 – Five-day sail, members $940/non-members $990 — SOLD OUT!
- Join Brilliant and her sister classics in Martha’s Vineyard. This trip combines a two-day transit from Mystic to Martha’s Vineyard, a day of casual classic yacht racing and celebration in Vineyard Haven, and a two-day transit home to Mystic.
October 8-10 – Three-day sail, members $600/non-members $650, Columbus Day Weekend — SOLD OUT!
- The wind will dictate the evening anchorage destinations for this Columbus Day weekend getaway. Possible stops include Block Island, Newport, Jamestown, Greenport, or Shelter Island.