Overnight Youth Group Program
The Mystic Seaport Anchor Watch overnight program provides an opportunity for youth groups to experience hands-on activities by day and sleep on board the 1882 square-rigged vessel Joseph Conrad by night. Groups begin their adventure with an introduction to Mystic Seaport and an evening walk through the Museum’s 19th-century village. After the tour, participants enjoy an evening snack, make a sailor’s craft, and then sleep aboard the Joseph Conrad. On the second day, participants enjoy breakfast at the Galley Restaurant, have the opportunity to climb the rigging of the Conrad, and then tour the Museum on their own for the remainder of the day.
Anchor Watch is available for any type of youth group, including, but not limited to, Scouts, 4-H groups, and others. Scout groups are able to achieve special badges through Anchor Watch programming.
Anchor Watch begins at 5:50 pm and continues until approximately 10 am the following day. A typical program includes:
- 5:50 pm – Meet Mystic Seaport staff in the main parking lot
- 6 pm – Orientation
- 6:30 pm – Move on board the Joseph Conrad and practice a fire drill
- 7 pm – Evening tour of Mystic Seaport grounds
- 8 pm – Evening activity (historic tour, planetarium show, badge-specific activities, etc.)
- 8:45 pm – Evening snack
- 9 pm – Evening activity (sailors’ crafts, historic tour, or badge-specific activity)
- 10 pm – Lights out
- 7 am – Reveille, clean ship, stow gear in cars
- 8:15 am – Breakfast
- 9 am – Activity with Museum staff
- 9:45 am – Enjoy a day on your own exploring Mystic Seaport