A slice of May

We’ve been pretty busy as you might imagine. The blog has suffered from long days at work, but I’ll try to give a blast of what’s been going on over the past 3 or 4 weeks.

We head downriver this Saturday, 5/17 at 9:15 am, weather permitting.

The systems have been going in at a dizzying pace. I can’t even begin to explain it all. Shore-based electrical, generated electrical, fire and bilge pumps, navigation electronics, multiple voltage electric lighting, potable water, heads, fire sensing, the list is quite long and exceedingly complex. Suffice it to say, we’re prepared for all manner of hazards.

Nathan has made all the mast boots.

Here’s the mizzen:

2014-IMG_1370 2014-IMG_1399

The fore. Those are Spider Bands above the boot. They hold belaying pins that anchor various ropes.

2014-IMG_1400

Normally I try to organize these by project, but in the interest of time, let’s take a chronological walk through May.

Early on, cold, dreary. Lots of floating staging set up for various projects.

2014-IMG_1770

One of these projects is making channels that capture the chain plates. In this photo, the chain plates bend over yellow pine stand offs that hold them away from the hull. The channels will go over these stand offs and have slots cut in them for the chain plates to pass through. You’ll see these later.

The sails arrived!! Cassie and Nick are admiring them. Honest.

2014-IMG_1771

We’ve covered them up to keep them clean.

Each of the whale boats has been getting a new coat of paint and other touch ups. Here’s Tim working on one.

2014-IMG_1772

The rigging work can’t be slowed down by rain. Alex sets up a work station under a tarp by the windlass up forward.

2014-IMG_1774

Rigging rigging rigging.

2014-IMG_1776 2014-IMG_1777

The try works got new corner braces. These will be painted black to blend in.

2014-IMG_1779

Trev has been working on the trim around the heads. These will provide ventilation above the heads, and mimic the ventilation above the officer’s cabins.

2014-IMG_1813 2014-IMG_1821

He has three to make, so he stacks them and works on all three at once to save time and to guarantee that they are identical.

Rob and Ali have been working on the bronze backing plate for the eagle that will be mounted on the transom.

2014-IMG_1817

Chris has made book shelves for the nav room. One has a sperm whale cutout. It’s much nicer than this photo conveys.

2014-IMG_1822

More deck work. Some leaky seams have been identified, reefed out, and re-caulked.

2014-IMG_1839

Then comes the hot tar to seal it.

2014-IMG_1825

A caulked seam ready for tar.

2014-IMG_1830

Jamie has loaded up the tar funnel and is ready to go.

2014-IMG_1833

The tar bubbles as it heats up the air trapped in the oakum below.

The mizzen topmast was raised by hand. Here are Sara and Matt working the windlass to haul on the heel rope.

In case you’ve never seen this done before, Dean made a model a while back of how this works.

2014-IMG_1873

Here he is demonstrating it.

Nick and Alex were up on the mizzen to add hoops and other rigging as the topmast came up through the cap.

2014-IMG_1843

Ryan manned the fire hose during a test of the fire pump.

2014-IMG_1851 2014-IMG_1852

It was pretty awesome.

You saw the oil truck delivering diesel earlier. Scott made sure that there were no spills on the deck.

2014-IMG_1855

We loaded in a LOT of anchor rode.

2014-IMG_1857

John made two new new chain lockers up forward. We moved five shots of chain per locker (at 1,080 lbs per shot) from the main locker to the new lockers. We did this to help trim the boat.

The chain is being grabbed with long forged chain hooks.

Tiring work.

2014-IMG_1866

The riggers have been working late every single night. If you come by the ship, give them some love. They deserve it.

2014-IMG_1868

Matt has built a new Dorade box (air vent) for the ship. This will mount just aft of the main mast, where the old manual pumps came up through the deck.

2014-IMG_1870

It looks like this now, very subtle.

2014-IMG_1932 2014-IMG_1933

Part of the new rigging over the bowsprit. The hand ropes will make it safer to go forward, and sails will be lashed to this as well.

2014-IMG_1886

Those channel covers have been finished up.  They look like this:

2014-IMG_1917

More soon!