Mary Mattingly’s Open Ocean – Opening Day
Join us on August 10, as we celebrate the opening of the Museum’s newest exhibition, Mary Mattingly’s Open Ocean. Mattingly is a leading contemporary artist from Brooklyn with an interest in the sea as a platform for artmaking. Come partake in a full day of special programming! (Members: don’t miss the special 8 a.m. Members Event – Mattingly will give an introduction at the R.J. Schaefer Building.)
Starting at 9:30 a.m., all visitors are welcome to join the following activities:
- 9:30 a.m.-12 p.m.— Meet Mary Mattingly in the exhibition
- Participate in a hands-on activity with Mare Liberum, a collective of visual artists, designers, and writers
- 10 a.m. and 12 p.m. — Enjoy sea chanteys on the McGraw Quad
- 10 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m., and 3 p.m. — Sign up for behind-the-scenes vault tours with Luce Project Assistant Curators Mirelle Luecke and Katherine Hijar, who will offer a peek into their upcoming exhibitions, Sea as Studio and The Sea as Muse
- 10:30 a.m. – 12 p.m.: Paper boat building demo by art collective, Mare Liberum
- 11 a.m. — Matthew Friday of creative design consultancy SPURSE will discuss their OCEA(n) project, a multi-year collaboration with the Northwest Atlantic Marine Alliance. This project, designed to transform the roles of fishermen into natural historians and consumers into citizens, served as to tool to unite communities around the mutual pleasure and curiosity we find in our oceans.
- 1-4 p.m. — See Mattingly create a “bundle” that will become a part of the exhibition. Visitors are welcome to collaborate with Mary on her bundle. She will accept non-perishable donations under 20 inches and lighter than 50 pounds.
- 1:30-2:30 p.m.: Guest speakers – Mare Liberum
- 2:30-4 p.m.: Paper boat building demo by Mare Liberum continues
Mary Mattingly’s Open Ocean is funded by the Henry Luce Foundation.