Adult Sailing Programs aboard BRILLIANT
Join other adults and the professional crew aboard Brilliant for a hands-on, full-participation sailing experience aboard a classic yacht. Learn to sail a 61-foot schooner while cruising local waters and visiting scenic anchorages and towns. You’ll become part of the crew as you raise sails, haul on lines, steer, help in the galley, and learn traditional seamanship.
Common ports of call may include Block Island, R.I., and Shelter Island, N.Y. The nightly anchorages are weather dependent and at the Captain’s discretion. When space and weather permit, Brilliant will lay to a dock permitting shore leave for the crew. While Brilliant has modern safety and navigation equipment, her accommodations are true to her original construction providing open sleeping quarters and traditional heads.
Participants must be physically fit and agile as well as competent swimmers to take part in the sailing program. Once you reserve a berth aboard Brilliant, you will be sent a health form and handbook outlining what to bring, arrival information, as well as many other details. Participants must be at least 16 years old to sail on one-day trips and at least 19 years old to sail on two- and three-day trips. No previous sailing experience is necessary.
2017 Brilliant Adult Sail Dates
Unless otherwise noted, trips begin at 9 a.m. and conclude at 4 p.m. at Mystic Seaport.
August 28-29 – Two-day sail, Block Island Schooner Rendezvous, Members: $400 members • Non-members: $440
- Sail out to Great Salt Pond on beautiful Block Island for the American Schooner Association Block Island Rendezvous with a lobster dinner and evening aboard the Mystic Whaler. This moderate sail is well-suited to those with some familiarity of Brilliant or other vessels.
September 9, 3-8 p.m. – Brilliant sunset sail • Members only • $100/person
- Join us for a special members-only sunset sail onboard the Museum’s famous schooner, Brilliant. Participate as a crew member and enjoy the ambiance of sailing the Mystic River at sunset on this beautiful classic yacht. In honor of the Brilliant’s 85th birthday, festive refreshments will be provided. Share stories with the crew and hear about some of Brilliant’s adventures throughout the years as both a racing and educational vessel. This is a great activity to experience on your own, with a friend, or with family (ages 16 and older). Participants will board at 3 p.m., sail down the Mystic River towards Fishers Island Sound, and return to Mystic Seaport by 8 p.m. Limited space available. Registration will close at noon September 1. Call 860.572.5331 to register.
September 10, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. – Brilliant day sale • Members only • $200/person
- Come learn to sail a 61-foot schooner while cruising local waters. You’ll become part of the crew as you raise sails, haul on lines, steer, and learn traditional seamanship. This unique hands-on, full-participation sailing experience aboard a classic yacht is a fun-filled activity for beginners and old salts alike. In honor of Brilliant’s 85th birthday, festive refreshments and a full lunch will be provided. Share stories with the crew and hear about some of Brilliant’s adventures throughout the years as both a racing and educational vessel. Bring a friend, family members, or just yourself – new friendships are sure to be forged along the way. Participants will board at 9 a.m. and disembark by 4 p.m. at Mystic Seaport. Limited space available. Registration will close by September 1, 2017 at noon. Call 860.572.5331 to register.
September 22-24 – Three-day sail, Greenport, N.Y., members $675/non-members $740
- On Friday, sail from Mystic to Greenport, N.Y. On Saturday, Brilliant becomes your base of adventure to explore the Greenport Maritime Heritage Festival: the quaint downtown of Greenport, or the wine country of Long Island’s North Fork. Your weekend concludes with a sail back to Mystic on Sunday. This moderate sail is well-suited to those with some familiarity of Brilliant or other vessels.
*October 5-10 – Six-day sail, Mystic to Baltimore, members $1,800/non-members $1,890
- Transit Mystic to Baltimore: One of our most adventurous transits of the season. Sail around the clock to Baltimore, MD, for the start of the Great Chesapeake Schooner Race. Participants will be given watch assignments and duties and should be prepared to be on deck anytime night or day. The trip will transit inside Long Island Sound and New York City, or outside via Montauk and the coast, the Delaware River, C&D Canal, and the upper portion of the Chesapeake Bay. This trip is more suited to the physically fit, experienced sailors or those ready to embrace adventure.
*October 12-15 – Three-day sail, Great Chesapeake Bay Schooner Race, members $1,200/non-members $1,290
- Great Chesapeake Bay Schooner Race – the 28th year of one of the largest gatherings of schooners on the East Coast. Upwards of 50 boats, both large and small, race 126 miles down the Bay from Annapolis, MD, to Portsmouth, VA. Brilliant will be sailed through the night and participants will be given watch assignments and duties. This trip is more suited to the physically fit, experienced sailors or those ready to embrace adventure.
*October 16-21 – Six-day sail, Portsmouth, VA to Mystic, members $1,800/non-members $1,890
- Transit Portsmouth, VA, to Mystic: The season finale, another adventurous romp of 350 miles either up the coast or via the C&D canal to bring Brilliant home. The boat will be sailed through the night and participants will be given watch assignments and duties and should be prepared to be on deck any time night or day. This trip is more suited to the physically fit, experienced sailors or those ready to embrace adventure.
* These are late season trips and there is a potential for being cold and wet in rough weather. Participants should be physically able to move about a rolling deck and be prepared with warm clothes and rain gear. It is at the Captain’s discretion whether a participant is capable of safely joining the trip.
If a participant chooses to do multiple legs, overnight accommodations will be provided at no additional charge between trips.