Overnight Youth Group Program
The Mystic Seaport Anchor Watch overnight program provides an opportunity for youth groups to experience hands-on activities by day and sleep on board the 1882 square-rigged vessel Joseph Conrad by night. Groups begin their adventure with an introduction to Mystic Seaport and spend their evening immersed in activities. On the second day, participants enjoy breakfast at the Galley Restaurant, have the opportunity to climb the rigging of the Conrad, and then tour the Museum.
Anchor Watch is available for any type of youth group. Scout groups are able to achieve special badges through Anchor Watch programming.
2018 programs run Friday and Saturday nights (one-night program), March 16 through June 2, and again September 7 through November 18.
Anchor Watch begins at 5:50 p.m. and continues until approximately 10 a.m. the following day. A typical program includes:
- 5:50 p.m. – Meet Mystic Seaport staff in the main parking lot
- 6 p.m. – Orientation
- 6:30 p.m. – Move on board the Joseph Conrad and practice a fire drill
- 7 p.m. – Evening tour of Mystic Seaport grounds
- 8 p.m. – Evening activity (historic tour, planetarium show, badge-specific activities, etc.)
- 8:45 p.m. – Evening snack
- 9 p.m. – Evening activity (sailors’ crafts, historic tour, or badge-specific activity)
- 10 p.m. – Lights out
- 7 a.m. – Reveille, clean ship, stow gear in cars
- 7:30 a.m. – Breakfast
- 8:30 a.m. – Rigging climb (weather permitting)
- 9:30 a.m. – Tour of Mystic Seaport