Visitors to Mystic Seaport Museum are welcome to take photographs for non-commercial, personal use only unless otherwise posted. The use of tripods, monopods, or selfie sticks on vessels or exhibits is prohibited, as is the use of drones.
Visitors are encouraged to share their images on social media with the hashtag #mysticseaportmuseum.
Individual artists are also welcome at Mystic Seaport Museum. As is the case with visitors who take photos for personal use, sketch artists and painters may create work for their personal and non-commercial use only.
Photography and Art Clubs
Photography and art clubs are welcome to come to Mystic Seaport Museum with prior arrangement. As with regular visitors, club members can photograph or create work for their personal and non-commercial use only. The club or organization will be asked to sign a waiver acknowledging this limited use prior to arrival on the grounds. Interested clubs should send an email inquiry with details of their intended activity to firstname.lastname@example.org.
News media and other professional photographers are not allowed to shoot on the grounds or in the exhibits without prior approval from the Communications Department and are not allowed on the grounds unaccompanied. Please email email@example.com for more information.
The privilege to shoot photographs on Mystic Seaport Museum grounds for individuals or groups who wish to commemorate a special occasion such as a graduation or reunion is granted on a case-by-case basis under the following terms: (Please see the note below concerning wedding photography.)
- Requests should be made in advance to the Visitors Services Department.
- Regular admission rates will apply for the photographer and subjects.
- Photography must take place during regular business hours. This period includes the hour after exhibits close, when the grounds are still open to visitors.
- The shoot is to last no longer than one hour.
- Photography may not take place inside exhibits or on board any of the vessels, including the gangways. All efforts should be taken not to disturb the experience of other visitors. Mystic Seaport visitors have first priority, and should not be disrupted in their enjoyment of the Museum.
- Permission to shoot photography is granted for personal use only. No commercial use is to be made of photos or videos taken by any of the parties.
- No operation of a drone is allowed on/above Mystic Seaport Museum grounds.
- Photography may not begin until a signed release form is executed by the participant(s) and the photographer. (Download the Form)
- Violation of these terms is determined at the discretion of Mystic Seaport staff members and violators can be asked to leave the grounds immediately.
Interested parties should contact the Visitor Services Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or 860.572.0711 to discuss their request and schedule a shoot.
Wedding photography is limited to parties holding their ceremony or reception at Mystic Seaport Museum through our partner Coastal Gourmet. To inquire about holding your wedding at Mystic Seaport, please click here to email Coastal Gourmet with your event details or call their special events team at 860.572.5305.
Professional Location Services
If you are considering Mystic Seaport Museum as a location for a commercial film, video, or photo production, please read our location production guidelines and contact Dan McFadden at email@example.com or 860.572.5317for additional information.
Policy revised December 2019.