Mystic Seaport Museum offers a number of summer camp programs that provide a unique learning adventure where meeting new friends is fun and easy. Our wide selection of Summer Day Camps offers boys and girls ages 4 to 16 a kid’s-eye-view of maritime history as they explore the Museum; Community Sailing classes let children ages 8 and older build and refine sailing skills; 8- to 15-year-olds can spend a week learning to sail by day and sleeping aboard a historic ship by night in the Joseph Conrad Summer Sailing Camp; and ages 15 and older can sail along the coast as part of the crew of the schooner Brilliant. Select the camp that best suits your children and give them a summer to remember at Mystic Seaport Museum!
Summer Day Camp (Ages 4-16)
With many different day camps to choose from, including joint camps with Mystic Aquarium and Denison Pequotsepos Nature Center, boys and girls ages 4 to 16 get a kids’-eye-view of maritime history as they explore Mystic Seaport Museum, take part in hands-on activities, play unique games and create fantastic craft projects. They’ll discover the secret lives of sailors, learn what life was like at port, meet the citizens of Greenmanville, investigate the superstitions of the sea, and more. All of our programs are licensed by the State of Connecticut and are staffed by experienced Museum Educators. Extended daycare is available. More information and camp dates.
Joseph Conrad Overnight Sailing Camp (Ages 8-15)
Please note the Joseph Conrad Overnight Sailing Camp has been cancelled for 2020.
The overnight summer camp of choice for more than 350 campers annually, this summer sailing camp teaches your 8- to 15-year-old not just the skills of the sea, but those of teamwork and camaraderie. Kids sail a Dyer Dhow by day and sleep aboard a historic ship by night — what better way to spend summer vacation than on the water! Our staff includes a state licensed director, experienced counselors and experienced sailing instructors, many of whom are past Conrad participants. More information and camp dates.
Community Sailing (Ages 8+)
No matter your skill level, you will find sailing at Mystic Seaport an unequaled experience. From beginners to intermediate, from youth to adult, individually or as a family, Mystic Seaport offers a full lineup of programs designed to build and refine sailing skills all while nurturing the love of the water. Our Community Sailing instructors are experienced sailors certified through US Sailing for sailing safety, boat operation, first aid and CPR. Their love of the water and years of sailing experience provide participants not only with the required technical knowledge, but with practical know-how through hands-on instruction. Special homeschool classes and competitive racing series are also available. More information and camp dates. More information and camp dates.
Schooner Brilliant Summer Sailing Program (Ages 15+)
Please note the schooner Brilliant programs have been cancelled for 2020.
Give your teenager a Brilliant experience aboard this beautiful 61-foot classic schooner! They will become part of the crew in this full-participation sailing experience while cruising local waters and visiting scenic ports of call. As the oldest sail education program in the country, Brilliant has taught teamwork, leadership, stewardship, and traditional seamanship for over 55 years to more than 9,000 teenagers and adults. Participants learn under the guidance of a professional crew and Coast Guard licensed Captain. More information and camp dates.
To provide for the health and safety of our campers we will be implementing the following protocols in our summer camps. More details will be provided to each family prior to camp.
- Group sizes will be reduced to allow for social distancing where appropriate.
- While we are not requiring a 14 day quarantine prior to arrival at camp, we ask that to the extent possible campers and their families take extra steps to minimize their potential exposure to the coronavirus in the two weeks leading up to camp. Parents and campers will be required to complete a pre-screening form daily for the 14 days prior to camp.
- If testing becomes more widely available, we will require campers and their families to be tested for COVID-19 before they come to camp.
- Staff will be required to quarantine for 14 days before starting to work at camp, and to be tested for COVID-19 if testing becomes more widely available.
- Camper arrivals and departures will be staggered to maximize social distancing.
- For the sailing camps, campers are strongly encouraged to bring their own life jackets. For those campers who do not have their own, a life jacket will be provided to them at the beginning of the week that they will use for the entire week. Life jackets will be cleaned daily.
- For the sailing camps, each camper will be assigned a boat at the beginning of the week that they and only they will use for the entire week.
- For all camps, staff and campers will be required to wear lightweight buffs that we will supply when within six feet of others (especially when inside), and sailors will be required to wear sailing gloves that will be washed each evening. For example, for sailing camp when a camper is sailing in their own boat they will not have to wear the buff, but while they are in the Sailing Center for the initial chalk talk they will wear them. For families that cannot get their own sailing gloves we will have a supply on hand for campers who need them.
- For all camps, there will be required hand-washing sessions multiple times per day.
- For all camps, daily wellness screenings including temperature checks and assessment of symptoms related to COVID-19 will be conducted.
- For all camps, campers will be required to use the bathroom one at a time, and the bathrooms will be cleaned in between uses.
- For all camps there will be increased cleaning and sanitation of spaces and equipment each day. High touch surfaces including toilets and restrooms will be cleaned and disinfected between users. Staff will use EPA approved disinfectants against COVID, and follow cleaning guidelines from the CDC.
- There will be a COVID-19 waiver form to sign.