One of the most straightforward gifts you can make to Mystic Seaport Museum is to name the Museum as a beneficiary of one of your assets such as an insurance policy, retirement plan or brokerage account. It is a popular way to establish a legacy gift because you can do it yourself. Typically, there are 4 simple steps:
1. Contact the administrator of your insurance policy, retirement plan or brokerage account and request a change of beneficiary form. In many cases you can download the form from their website.
2. Decide what percentage of the account you wish to donate to Mystic Seaport Museum and name us along with the percentage on the form.
3. Sign and return the form to the administrator.
4. Tell us about your gift! It would be our honor to thank you for your support and to welcome you into the Charles K. Stillman Legacy Society. With your permission we will share your story with others to inspire them to follow your good example.
Life Insurance and IRA Gifts: Simple Yet Powerful
1) Named Beneficiary: Name Mystic Seaport as a beneficiary on an existing life insurance plan, brokerage account, IRA or other retirement plan.
2) Direct Bequest: Name Mystic Seaport in your will or estate plans for a specified gift, either a dollar amount or percentage of your assets, tangible property or residue.
3) Structured Gift: Ask your attorney about the tax benefits and income options of charitable gift annuities, charitable lead or remainder trusts or other structured gifts.
Creating a Legacy
1) Outright Gift: When you give your residence or other property directly to Mystic Seaport you become eligible for a tax deduction and provides direct support to Mystic Seaport.
2) Bequest Gift: A Gift of real estate through your will provides your estate an estate tax deduction and supports the Mission of Mystic Seaport.
3) Charitable Remainder Unitrust: Use your residence of other property to establish a charitable remainder unitrust. The trust may distribute income to you during your lifetime and provide support to Mystic Seaport in the future.
Give an Inspiring Gift
1) Charitable Lead Trust: Income from the trust will be paid to Mystic Seaport for a defined period and then the principle will revert to the donor or donor’s family.
2) Charitable Gift Annuity: A gift of cash or other property to Mystic Seaport will be used to establish an annuity contract with a guaranteed fixed payout to one or more beneficiaries.
3) Charitable Remainder Trust: Income from the trust may be distributed to the donor or other named beneficiaries for a defined period of time, after which the corpus is distributed to Mystic Seaport.